Saturday, November 19, 2005

You gotta love Africa.



This is my third time writing this same post. The two other versions were so humorous and clever but they weren’t meant to be posted I guess. The first time the website took my post and lost it. The second time my computer decided to loose it by tricking me into clicking “No” when prompted about some Auto Recovery feature. So here I am. Instead of painstakingly recreating the posts I’ll just tell you about them. I’m sure you would have laughed at them for sure. I told the story of my return to the states for the first time in over two years. I ingeniously used the words “triumphant return.” After that I went on to describe how I was going to be flying on a direct flight from Dakar to New York (first a flight I didn’t know existed and second a three thousand dollar flight that Uncle Sam has zero qualms about despite the fact that he could have sent me through Paris for ¼ of the price). That would have surely partially taken you aback. Then I expressed my astonishment in my eight hour layover in New York due to the fact that most of the commuter flights between NY and DC go out of LaGuardia. I would have surely made you chuckle as I played with the idea of going into New York during my layover given that NY is a shocking experience for a small town American and how it would have been much more so for someone like me who has spent all but 17 of the last 800 days on the African continent. I ended the post describing the accompanied photo. It’s a photo of me spending my last days in Dori foot deep in sand at my favorite but laborious intersection. Subsequently I told the joke of how my town is just like the beach but without the water. I don’t think you would have laughed so much at that one but maybe….

Prose exercise for The Onion aside, folks my time is ticking away. In Dori I’ve got but 9 days left followed by 5 days in Ouagadougou. Then I hop over to Senegal to spend 2 days in Dakar and finally make my way to DC via NY (with the 8 hour layover).
I’ll then be hanging out stateside for a month with a weeklong stint in Chicago. I hope I get the chance to see you all!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice pic! not quite a dune, but I guess it'll do...how do you bike in that?..jj

-Lars

Tuesday, November 22, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok it is time to move to a new adventure and develop your web site when you get to Senegal. The Senegalese awaits your arrival.

Friday, November 25, 2005  
Blogger Adam Cohen said...

Nice Shirt.

Monday, December 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters
Viking Office Products Coupons