Thursday, August 25, 2005

Ghana is crazy!

I only have six minutes in this Cyber Cafe in Cape Coast, Ghana to let you know how things have been going. From the look at the web counter my readership is at an all time low, but it's all good I write the blog for me anyways, lol. So, all of my Peace Corps language and cultural training got wiped out as soon as I crossed the border into Ghana. It's a whole 'nother world. Also you really can see the differences in effects of French versus British colonialization. Anyways a quick example of what's been going on: I've been getting ripped off. My bargaining skills don't work here (lack of perfect information really sucks I'm sure M.W. would agree ;0). I tried using the same little cute French catch phrases by translating them into English, but they get me absolutely no where. The people were refusing to drop their prices. Also the taximen where ripping me off charging me prices that could get me across the country let alone a couple blocks. However a new plan has emerged..I no longer ask for prices like a tourist, I now try to pass as an African. I hand over money as if I know the price and give a look of expecting change. So far so good..even though they must think I'm weird when they talk to me in TWI and I just shake my head, ah well...TIMES UP!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel bad, I don't know about anyone else. I'll need to check back more often. I'm not a real web surfer, I barely check my email once a day. You've been busy which is good, more for us to read. Obviously I would have to no clue about your situation, but you seem to have a pretty good ability to adapt in spite of the circumstances. How was it crossing the border to Ghana? You didn't mention it, so I'm guessing it was no trouble. How are the beaches? I picture something even more exotic than a Hawaiian beach. Take it easy Ryan, I hope you're enjoying the sun and the ocean. Zhu ni hao yun, kuai zou!
andrew

Thursday, August 25, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey man, I feel for you, but gotta keep your head up straight and move on, you know how it's like over there! Don't tell me the ripping sport comes as a surprise!

Anyway just dropping by to leave you a supportive note and say hi, haven't forgotten you, hope all is for the best, will be keeping aside a couple of fresh 'croissants' for you anytime :)

Don't let small annoyances ruin your vacation, nor your good spirit (i bet you mumble weird ethnic slang just to get free "brochettes" sometimes :) )

Hope to see you again someday, you sorry excuse for an African! :)

Sunday, August 28, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The funny thing is that the site I work on gets about 400,000 unique page views a day. I have the power to put a link to your puny blog on the homepage, but it might get me fired.

I wish you would develop a ridiculous fitness program so that I could write a story about you. At least eat some powerbars or something.

I'm disappointed to hear that you signed on for another year, but if that's your calling who am I to tell you no?

Sarah and Glenn are still making babies, but that's about all the gossip I have for you. If you want to send me an email of your favorite cheerleading memories, it'd be sweet since I'm writing a short memoir/expose. The chapter devoted to Dan is incredible.

Keep cool in the heat.

A-Tizzle

Wednesday, August 31, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters
Viking Office Products Coupons